I am caught up on the Ten Commandments bed runner. Two more Commandments to go. Each block is so pretty. There will be enough fabric left over from the bolt that I bought to change the look of my bedroom. I’m thinking valances, pillow covers, etc. I do have a beautiful purple silk pillow cover that one of my daughters gave me for Christmas. It will be a very nice accent to the room.
Commandment # 8 This was finished, but when I looked at the picture, two of the pieces were set in wrong. I’ll correct that and show the picture on the next blog.
When the bed runner is finished, I will quilt it on the Grace frame. A friend from the Guild and her husband came on Monday morning and finished setting it up. It’s all ready to go. I will put a quilt package on it this week and start to practice, practice and more practice. Hopefully, I can quickly finish a lot of my ufos.
The mystery quilt, Frolic, by Bonnie Hunter needs a lot of work. I’m several weeks behind on this project. I have downloaded the directions, printed them and saved them to a file. The completed quilt has been revealed. I can work on it between doing other things.
This is all the little pieces that need to be sewn together to make a queen size quilt.
There are a lot of small pieces of fabric that were left over when cutting Frolic. My intention was to cut them in 1 1/2″ strips and squares. Then I could sew them as beginners and enders and make 3 1/2″ blocks. It’s amazing how fast the bucket is filling up with scraps. All my meetings and appointments are finished for this week, so I have two full days of sewing ahead of me. I may cut some of fabric and get started.
I made a folded fabric hexi. It was fun. The first one took an hour. The second one took ten minutes. They are really easy to make after the first one. There is a pin clasp on the back so it can be worn as a pin.
I have a project that calls for a bird block. I enjoy machine embroidery in the hoop and hadn’t done that for a while. I found a pattern and machine quilted for many hours. The pattern had a lot of stitches and color changes. When it was finished, I found that it was a defective embroidery. The body of the bird was missing and some of the leaves were not there. It is in the round file. It was a wasted day.
Today, I embroidered a bird that I bought from Embroidery Library. Their embroideries always sew out beautifully. It did, but I think that there isn’t enough color contrast between the bird and the foliage. I will save it for another project.
I have a bin of quilt pieces in the back of a closet. There are partially made quilts, leftover blocks and lots of things to choose from when I’m looking for something special. I found several bird blocks.
These two blocks are hand embroidered. I think that my mother made them.
These two cardinals are redwork on the embroidery machine.
This bird block is partially thread painted. I printed the picture of a bird on fabric and was in the process of thread painting when I put it away. I need to have turquoise in the border so will thread paint some turquoise thread on the wing. Thread painting is very relaxing and is something that I like to do.
The blocks are sitting on the kitchen counter, waiting for me to make a decision. I’ll have to decide by tomorrow which one to use in the project .
2 thoughts on “Old things and new things”
The two bird blocks your mother hand embroidered are beautiful and very professional done, how nice it is that you have them. It is a treasure. I’ll bet that you can not wait to get started on your new quilting machine. I am looking forward to seeing your quilting. The folded fabric hexie is so pretty, I will have to try to do them. You are such an inspiration. Thank you! Janie
I’m glad that you’re enjoying the blog. If you would like, I can send the link with the instructions on how to make the folded hexagons to your e-mail.