It is a great feeling to finish ufos. One has been sitting on the shelf for years. It was half quilted. This week, I decided to concentrate and finish it. I had started walking foot quilting, so I finished it that way. There was a lot of turning and twisting of the quilt while I quilted it. It did take a long time for such a small quilt, but it was well worth it. One more finished quilt. It’s a charity quilt size and will go into that pile of quilts and placemats that will go to the Guild when we can meet again.
It’s not March, but the quilt that I had wanted finished and hung on my wall in March is finally finished. When I tried to photograph it, Miss Molly decided to do her job and inspect it. She wouldn’t move and is still sitting on it by the slider. As soon as she decides to move, I’ll pick it up and put it away. It is ready for next March.
The back is pieced from the leftovers.
Every Monday morning, I find three new block patterns from the Comfort and Blessings quilt in my e-mail. The patterns and instructions that I received this morning have been printed and I’m ready to piece the three blocks. So far, I have pieced 15 blocks. The designer’s color choices are great. It is nice to have the fabric ready in baggies. There is just the right amount of fabric in the original cuts. In the patterns is a diagram that shows how to cut the pieces. The instructions are complete and accurate. With the nice weather, I’m spending more time outside in the gardens. These blocks can be made in small increments of cutting and sewing times.
Dear Jane is on vacation. I’ve finished Row A and Row B. All the blocks in those two rows are quilted and sewn together. The back is just as pretty as the front. The patterns and tips for Row C have been printed. Each block pattern is in a baggie with the fabric to make the block. Sometime, when I feel like it, Jane will come out and I’ll start making that row.
I inherited a pinwheel quilt that was in three pieces. The original quilter intended that the three pieces be sewn together for a full size quilt. As I looked at them, I thought that if I added a border, I could have three charity quilts. The quilts would fit on my quilting frame. I really needed to start using the frame. As I was looking for backing ,I found a few scrap quilt hanging, ready to quilt. One was a jelly roll race top. Another was made from cut out pieces that I won at a tea cup raffle. They were perfect for the backs. I found that I need a lot of practice to be a decent mid arm quilter. I have the speed controlled. The stitches are even. My problem is steering in the right direction. By the time I finish the three quilts, I will be a lot better. I’m learning. Better finished than perfect is my mantra.
I’m still sewing 2 1/2″ squares as beginners and enders. After sewing several together, and they were piling up, I thought of all the time that I would have to stand and press the seams. It was a “what If” moment. What if I pressed them along with the block pieces. It wouldn’t take more than a few seconds longer. There is a small shelf under the ironing board. I put a small bin on the shelf and threw the pressed two patches into the bin. Every one was pressed to the dark side. When I have a small stash of two patches, I can make them into four patches as beginners and enders. Again, pressing as I press the quilt blocks. It would be a free quilt. Scraps leftover from other projects and sewn together as I’m making another quilt. In the meantime, maybe, I could finish some more ufos.
Have a great day and happy quilting.