One of the prettiest gaa barge pieces is made of cut out flowers from a small leftover piece of fabric and small strips of green fabric.
The background was quilted before the scraps of fabric were added. They are not held down by tulle, but are stitched down in a random fashion. The edges of the leaves and flowers are loose. It took just minutes to make.
The background is a hand dyed piece. The mottled look was made by pre folding the white fabric before putting it into the dye bath. I dye using the baggie method and pre folding the fabric to get the look that I like. There are several ways to pre fold the fabric. Each way gives a different effect. With the mottled or designed fabric, you can get realistic leaves and flowers for applique. I often dye going from light to dark, depending on how much dye I put in the baggies. The last batch of dyeing that I did had recipes to follow to move from one color to another. Sun dyeing is also a lot of fun. The only problem is that I find it very hard to use the dyed fabric. It is so pretty to look at.
Have a great day and happy quilting.