The lupines are beautiful this year. Each year, in the fall, when the lupines have gone to seed, I cut off the stems and lay the whole piece in whatever garden that I want new lupines to grow. The first year, the plants come and the second year the flowers come. If I do this every year, I am assured a crop of flowers every year. The seeds do not have to be covered,. They just lay on top of the soil. Some seeds do not germinate so I lay several stems worth of seed in the area that I want planted.
Several years ago, before the auctioneer retired, we went to an auction every Saturday night. They had a food stand and we had our supper while we waited for the auction to start. It was our fun night out. One night, I saw a quilt under a table. It had bubble gum pink and gray. I pulled it out and looked at it. Then I hid it back under the table.
The quilt was in decrepit shape. It smelled very bad. I hung it on the line outside and sprayed it with Febreze. It didn’t do any good, It still smelled. Then, I decided to reproduce it. I looked for about six months to find fabrics that looked like the original. I had to apologize to the quilt shop owner when I took the quilt in to match the fabrics. The four patches were made with different fabrics and I found enough to make it look like the original. The fun was in the hunt.
The pattern is easy. It’s a nine patch made from five four patches and four plain blocks. It is set on the diagonal with a plain alternating square. Even the backing is similar to the original. The reproduction looks very similar to the original. And it doesn’t smell.
Have a great day and happy quilting.