Happy new year. It has been a very busy two weeks with Christmas parties and family get togethers. It is wonderful to connect with family no matter what time of year. Miss Molly’s good friend Rufus came for a visit also. She enjoys visiting with him and discussing their very important jobs.
I did squeeze in a little time for sewing. The green and white quilt top is finished. My goal is to have it finished so that it can go on the wall over the sofa in March. I had made several four patches before I looked for a pattern. The four patch pieces were cut at 1 1/4″ square. Four units were sewn together to make the block. While checking for inspiration for my demo in January, I came across a pattern from a class that I had with Sue Rabin and Ann Gallo. It was perfect. After the wall hanging was pieced, I realized that it was too small for the space. Using the leftover green fabric, I added more borders and cut them at an angle on the two bottom corners. The size is correct now. I had made more four patches than I needed so decided to piece the backing with them. By the time it is finished, I may, possibly, have my quilt frame ready to use. It is one of my priorities this year.
I’m behind on Bonnie Hunter’s Frolic quilt. At this point, I’ve skipped part four. It calls for turquois fabric that is lighter than the blue that goes with it. It calls for sets of four pair of half square triangles and four pairs of quarter square triangles cut from the same fabrics. Since I have small scraps in that color, there is not enough yardage to cut what I need. I’ve ordered some new fabric and will make part 4 when it comes. So much for using up the scraps that I have.
Part five is finished. It called for lots of half square triangles that are sewn the same as part three. The color is raspberry and neutrals. This time, I decided to make the half square triangles in the accordion method. They worked up quickly and are trimmed and ready for the next step.
Step six will be here tomorrow or the next day. Maybe, I will have much more time to sew and can catch up.
The fourth commandment block is finished. I’m pleased with the colors on these blocks. It will make a very nice bed runner. The Fifth Commandment block pattern came last week. It calls for two duplicate 10″ blocks. The pattern says that these blocks are more difficult to size correctly. The 10″ block is divided by 6 units, so the cutting is tricky. The sewing has to be very accurate in order for it to come out the correct size. Fortunately, I do know how to divide a block by unusual amounts of pieces. I will do this on copy paper and paper piece each section. Then the block will be accurate when finished.
The deadline is fast approaching to have my demo instructions completed. I have decided what I’m going to talk about. It will be called Tricks of the Trade and will consist of four subjects. Now, I have to make demo pieces and write the instructions. One of the subjects will be how to make six equal sections in a 10″ block. When I have finished writing the instructions, I’ll post it to the blog.
There is so much that I want to complete in 2020. January will be my organization month. Then, I can just have fun.
Have a great day and happy quilting.