An Adventure In Quilting

I have had an adventure in quilting for the last three days. It has taken a quilt community to get me this far. I was working on a few ufos when I read Laura Kate’s blog, Daily Fiber. Laura Kate is awesome. She quilts, makes the most wonderful knit products, and does water color painting. I admire her very much. When her blog shows up, it is the highlight of my day. Laura Kate led me to another blog SAHRR 2021 chrisknits(wordpress.com.)

Chris and a few fellow bloggers are making a Covid round robin. This is similar to the traditional round robin, except that the quilt never travels out of your house. Each blogger gives weekly challenges to the group. They show their progress on their websites.

The round robin starts with a single block. Any block that you want. It can be an orphan block or a new one. I checked all my orphan blocks, but decided not to use any of them.

I had bought 5 1\2 yards of a Ginny Beyer border print for $2.00 a yard at Mardens. This would be my focus fabric. I like to fussy cut the prints. There would be enough for a border. I hadn’t used any of the hand dyed fabric that I made two years ago. I had ombre fabric and graduated dyed fabric. The colors that I chose seemed to go very well with the focus fabric.

Ginny’s block

Ginny Beyer has lots of quilt block patterns, so I chose on that I could do fussy cutting in the center. Things were going very well. Pieces were cut and sewed. It went together very well. Then, I looked at it. It was awful. I did not like it and knew that it would go into the ufo bin, never to be seen again, it I didn’t do something. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong, but it had to be the colors.

The center was nice,

That night, I saw a black and white block on Pinterest. I have a challenge of a two color quilt so this would work. It was a total turn around. I found a block on EQ 7 and made the block. It was so much better than the colored one.

Chris chose Piano Keys for the first round. She decided that the block needed a coping strip and then a small 1 1/2″ finished border. That would be easy.

The blog picture showed only two border sides, so that’s what I did. I made two borders. It was different. Then I looked at the blog for finished blocks from the other bloggers and they had all four sides. Chris’s block just wasn’t finished.

I had four quarter square triangle squares left over so used them in the four corners of the black and white block. So far, I like this quilt.

Now, back to the colored version. My quilting buddy daughter and her husband came for lunch the other day, Of course, it was show and tell. She took one look at the block and said that the red was the wrong color. It needed to be changed. I unsewed the block and took out the red points. It was much harder to insert the new points. The fabric stretched a bit with the unsewing. I can quilt out the puffiness. I also removed the border print borders and replaced it with piano keys. What a difference. I think that I can save it now.

I’ll make two Covid round robins.

Each new challenge is presented on Monday. This project can rest for a few days and I can work on something else. First, I have to clean up the mess that I made making these two blocks. It’s much nicer to work in a clean room.

Have a great day and happy quilting.

6 thoughts on “An Adventure In Quilting

  1. Thanks for the mention, you are kind. Your final block has wow factor! I think the decision to switch from the pink fabric to the dark red made all the difference. It plays very well with the lovely gold.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s