Continuing on

I have done what I said that I would not do. I have so many ufos to finish, I said that I would not start a new block of the month or another long-term project. I follow a blog that is written by the most awesome talented woman. She knits, paints wonderful artwork and quilts. She belongs to a group of women who are making a Stay At Home Round Robin. Her SAHRR center was unusual. I thought about two embroideries that I had in a bin of quilt parts. A friend had made the embroideries and gave them to me. I gave in and decided to join in making a SAHRR using one for the center of an “art” quilt.

This piece has many things to look at. There are two horses, a man that appears to have no head. a hand, chain, numbers and lots of other unusual things. Looking at it, I realized that it was made from analogous colors, plus one, the gold, from directly across on the color wheel.

I will pull the fabric with these colors from my hand dyed bin. The first row was curves. They were easy to make. The background is a creamy mottled light brown. It actually is the same color as the brown square in the bottom row. It is mottled and looks as if the purple curve bled over onto it. I’ve decided to embellish each row with embroidery. I sewed a built-in embroidery on the edges of the insert.

The next row is diamonds. I have an idea what I will do. I want to introduce turquoise, or shocking pink. Hopefully, I can make narrow rows as I want this piece to be small. It’s nice to have others plan the rows.

One of my king size quilts has been under the needle for machine quilting. I’m thankful for the Kangaroo Joey table that holds it up, so the quilting is easy. I quilt a little on this quilt several days in the week. It will eventually be done.

Yesterday, my furnace died. I have a small electric heater. I put it in the sewing room and was comfortable in that room until the repairman came. It forced me to sew and quilt. I even had lunch on a TV tray in the sewing room. It was a good sound when the furnace started up. The day was frigid, so it took a long time for the house to come up to the correct temperature.

One of the ufos was finished. It’s a small baby quilt that I started years ago. There are no babies coming in the family, so I will put it aside for a while. Now, I’ll have to choose another ufo to work on.

One down, many to go.

All the blocks for the second Surprise Mystery Quilt are finished. I need to put them together and add the border. I had made one that finished at 44″ x 44″. The second one will finish at 77″ x 77″ I still have to write the directions for the last four blocks and the final instructions of putting the blocks together and adding the border. The instructions are not due for the newsletter until March and April, so I have a little time to complete them.

Have a great day and happy quilting.

3 thoughts on “Continuing on

    1. The panel came from a dear artist friend. I hope that I can do it justice with my hand dyed fabric. I’m working on the applique or rail fence border today. No applique because of the machine embroidery, I machine embroidered some real rail fences this morning. I just happened to have a rail fence embroidery. Just one more border to go, it should be finished by my next blog.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s